Tuesday 26 February 2013

Mount To-Be-Read


These are the lower foothills of my fantasy TBR. I also have a non-fiction TBR Everest (The History of The World in 100 Objects, Is That A Fish In Your Ear (a book on the joys of translation), A History of Modern Britain etc etc) and a teetering tower of literary fiction and modern classics waiting on me. Oh, and I need to finish reading my youngest child The Neverending Story and then make good on my promise to read her the entirety of the Harry Potter septology...

These are the books I _will_ read next. Daylight War because it would be top of my list even if I'd never met Peter V Brett, Malice because John Gwynne had an ARC sent my way and he's a good guy and I feel guilty about being pulled away from it so many times by other commitments. Tainted City because I really liked The Whitefire Crossing and Courtney Schafer kindly sent me (& my wife (big fan)) a copy. The Grim Company because Luke Scull's publishers sent me the hardback and Luke seems cool. The City because the publishers sent me an ARC and I feel I owe David Gemmell's memory the courtesy of trying his widow's book.

I read _very_ slowly, slipping it in between a hundred other things. Which is exactly how I DON'T want people to read my own work :/

Anyhow - that's the pile and it would surprise me if I get through it before the summer. Add to that the fact I want to re-read some old favourites and maybe try Dan Polansky's 2nd book and you'll see why I'm not the go to guy for a blurb or a good investment of your ARC!

11 comments:

  1. I heard Peter V. Brett will be at an event in Toppings of Bath on Thursday. Are you going to be there? I would like to have gone, but alas I'll be in London signing a huge pile of stock for Goldsboro and Forbidden Planet.

    All those books are on my to-read list as well, except The Grim Company (I'm tired of reading that thing!). Though I guess I ought to read some David Gemmell before trying Stella...

    Count me in for Tomorrow the Killing, too. Daniel will probably be pleased to know Amazon has finally cut the kindle price of Straight Razor Cure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll catch up with Mr Brett on his way through Bristol all things being well.

      I signed all my Goldsboro books at home. They sent me the fly-sheets. Forbidden Planet, well even someone as unable to travel as me can make it down to the Bristol shop occasionally (it's about 4 or 5 miles from my house) - so I signed my books there.

      Delete
    2. Bummed to see The Grim Company doesn't have a release date yet for the US, Luke. I'll be keeping my eye out for it to make an appearance on this side of the pond!

      Delete
  2. You're like me. I love reading but am a slow reader because life just gets in the way. I also have a book mountain that I keep adding to. Buying more books is an addiction for me and I actually wonder if they'll ever get read :) (I hope they do)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to your opinion of "The City". I am, just like you, going to read the Daylight War next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The great thing about The history of the World in 100 objects though is you can just read a chapter every once in a while. For me it is kind of like a filler in between books.. or when I want to read, but don't feel like reading the same book I have been working through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Grim Company is getting a lot of attention over on Goodreads... I'm gonna be giving that one a try;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not every writer can be, say, Courtney Schafer, who I understand reads books with amazing rapidity...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they do say she has only to lick the cover and within moments she knows the whole tale better than the one who wrote it.

      Delete
    2. I just want to state for the record that I do NOT lick the covers of Mark's books, no matter how sweet the cover art. :P

      Delete
    3. That's a curiously specific denial, Courtney... :)

      Delete